Stephenson Family Ties The Barn Burnt Down
And Now I See The Moon

Birthday Remembered

It is the secret of the world that all things subsist
and do not die, but only retire a little from sight
and afterwards return again.  Nothing is dead; men
feign themselves dead, and endure mock funerals and
mournful obituaries and there they stand looking out of
the window, sound and well, in some new strange disguise.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANDPA PAUL
Born on June 9th 1903
this handsome man was born109 years ago

In preparation for this post I was able to read the minutes of his funeral.
Oh how I wish I could have known Grandpa Burnham.
Oh how grateful I am to have the faith and knowledge that someday I 
will have the opportunity to greet him on the other side of the veil.
Many wonderful accolades were spoken on Pauls' behalf.
Mostly words of comfort to my grandmother Ida, and to my mother and her brother Bruce.
Many people loved and admired Paul.
My mother was 12 years old when he died.
After all these years..she is still very sad about her loss. Im wishing she felt more comfort
and peace. I think she wonders about how different her life might have been
had her dear daddy not died when he did.  Mom is good at delving into "what might have beens."
I wish she wouldnt....for her experiences have made her into the wonderful woman she is today..
with character traits that sound a lot like her dad....
generous, kind, hard working, 

There was a poem read at his funeral that I thought I'd share again:

A REAL MAN

Men are two kinds, and he
Was of the kind I'd like to be.
Some preach their virtues, and a few
Express their lives by what they do.
That sort was he.  No flowery phrase
Or useless spoken words of praise
Won friends for him.  He wasnt cheap
Or shallow, but his course ran deep.
And it was pure.  You know the kind.
Not many in a life you find
Whose deeds outrun their words so far
That more than what they seem they are.

There are two kinds of lies as well; 
The kind you live,  the ones you tell.
Back through his years from age to youth
He never acted one untruth.
Our in the open light he fought
And didnt care what others thought
Nor what they said about his fight
If he believed that he was right.
The only deeds he ever hid
Were acts of kindness that he did.

Men are of two kinds, and he
Was of the kind I'd like to be.
No door as which he ever knocked
Against his manly form was locked.
If ever man on earth was free
And independent, it was he.
No broken pledge lost him respect,
He met all men with head erect,
And when he passed I think there went
A soul to yonder firmament
So white, so splendid and so fine
It came almost to God's design.




.

No comments: