Stephenson Family Ties The Barn Burnt Down
And Now I See The Moon

Sabbath Musings

Maybe you think that carrots are less important than cows.
 I think they're equal, especially in a sauce."






is for Omnivore

It was long ago..in my illuminating college days, that I read in some behavioral type text book, that children are more likely to develop the eating habits of their father, as opposed to how/what the mother eats.
Stay with me now...I can feel you slipping away as Im sure you are now thinking about your own dad and what made him happy when he saddled up to the dinner table.  I know Im right....come back.
Im quite sure I've already referred to my own dad as being a veracious carnivore.  He could hold his own in any lions' den, for he seems most content when his red meat is swimming in its own red juices; grilled, but still cool inside. And my mother, being the dutiful and good wife that she is, complied to his appetite , and served up almost every night, a slab of meat, potatoes, veggies and a salad.  On the flip side..I know for a fact that my mom prefers thick, ooey gooey casseroles, full of flavors, textures and sauces.  We had very few of of these growing up...which on one hand  could be cause for yet another debate as well...for missing out on all those cheeses and sauces is probably a good thing.  I do remember a dish she called Italian Delight that she made for us, which was delicious, (and I have yet to be able to duplicate) which we enjoyed mostly when dad was out of town.
It turns out that the behavioral science book was right...at least about me and my brother and our eating habits...we both grew up loving red meat..for I do indeed love  a good steak, pot roast or hamburger. (pink inside for me please.)
You may be wondering where Im going with all this food rambling...
Well....I've been thinking about what we Mormons call The Word of Wisdom or the "Lords Law of Health." 
The Word of Wisdom is a revelation given to Joseph Smith in the early 1800's and contains many of our health laws that make  us 'famous,' such as not drinking alcohol, tea or coffee.  But, what we Mormons seem to easily overlook is the part about eating meat vs. eating grains and veggies.  The scripture read:


10 And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbsGod hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man—
11 Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.
12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;
13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.
14 All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, not only for man but for the beasts of the field, and the fowls of heaven, and all wild animals that run or creep on the earth;
15 And these hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger.
16 All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground

I sometimes question if this means that Mormons should be Vegetarians. After a little bit of research, I discovered there are a few levels of Vegetarianism, one of which is called “Flexetarianism” or “Semi-Vegitariansim”. This is defined as a Vegetarian (someone who doesn’t eat meat) in most cases, but sometimes eats meat.
Therefore, I would say that if a Mormon is strictly adhering to the Word of Wisdom, they are only eating meat in extreme situations, or in other words, occasionally. So being an omnivore isnt quite 'right.' which sucks!!.
Occasional means something different though to many people. For some, occasional means once a day. To others, occasional could mean once a year. According to the Word of Wisdom, occasional (as outlined above) means only in rare circumstances, or in the winter. I've been watching my good brother practice this for a few years now...we havent really talked about it...I've just noticed it and wondered what he was thinking, when eating meat only when its cold outside.  Now Im getting it.
The Word of Wisdom ends with a promise for those who follow it, that they will receive “health to their navel and marrow to their bones” and they will be able to “run and not be weary and walk and not faint”. These are amazing promises, promises I wish to enjoy...for the rest of the time I have here on this earth.
I’ll admit, it's not going to be easy giving up the meat, the difficulty  ranks up there with giving up Pepsi...almost.   I've been conditioned to 'need' protein. Therefore, I include meat in my diet at least once/day.  Maybe if I were to become a "True" Mormon which most of us are not it seems, and follow the Word of Wisdom more strictly, I should learn to enjoy beans...ugh!! and other alternative proteins.  Living next to David and Anna and our summer garden will help of course. Fresh tomato sandwiches!! YUM!!
Heres to wishing me luck and fortitude...AGAIN!!!
Now Im going to go out and get a meat-lovers pizza in celebration of my new resolve.  te he


I am not a vegetarian because I love animals.
 I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants.
A. Whitney Brown
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sis,
For the last 4-5 years I take a break from meet in the summer (read verse 13 again).
What I find is that I enjoy the change, I look forward to when I'll stop eating meat. And after several weeks or months, I look forward to starting to eat meat again. It is weird - and for sure something that Dad would never have done.