Stephenson Family Ties The Barn Burnt Down
And Now I See The Moon
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed,
and some few to be chewed and digested; that is,
some books are to be read only in parts; other to be
read, but not curiously; and some few to be read
wholly, and with diligence and attention.
from: Of Studies
by: Sir Francis Bacon



“You might not find meaning in disaster, but you might, with effort, make something useful of it.” -book jacket

If you are looking for a fabulous book, find A Three Dog Life by Abigail Thomas. It’s a quick-read, but not a “light” read by any sense of the word. It’s a touching true story that weighs heavy on the heart and touches honestly on many tough subjects. When I turned the last page...I said to myself...."gulp....could I ever be that courageous?" The cover has an endorsement from Stephen King that kind of sums it up, “The best memoir I have ever read. This book is a punch to the heart. Read it.”
Five stars for me!! ***** ( I will read this one again!) 


When people confess to not being able to turn away from a train wreck...or when we catch ourselves slowing down when we see a terrible accident along the freeway...and then wonder why we do this to ourselves...dont we then wonder, "what is it we hope to  see"..........
This is how I would describe this book experience for me.  I was completely and totally hooked by this book- mostly due to the  way that Dean Koontz writes. The first three paragraphs on the very first page of the book sucked me in and showed no mercy!!  I LOVE the way Dean writes!!! LOVE!!!  
But....his subject matter is so dark....maybe not quite Stephen King dark...but dark enough that I wont continue the series.  One of my Laurels turned me on to this book and author...he's one of her favorites!!  She's a voracious reader...like me...but she's a murder mystery lover... which I never really have been.  As a matter of fact, its been quite some time since I've picked up a book that is considered a New York Times best seller.  I can understand  why these types of books sell in airports and train stations...once your in to its pages it doesnt matter how many miles you have to go...you wont mind...for Odd Thomas will keep you guessing and enthralled to the very last page!!  
I'd give this book 5 stars...but for its "darkness."  How about ****1/2  and no profanity either!!




This was December's book club choice.  We preferred something light for the holiday season. Weeeelllllll....not so sure this could be qualified as light reading...but it was very insightful and Im sure I've written down half the quoted selections for my own files!!  
review from Fulghum's website:


"In Words I Wish I Wrote, Fulghum reveals the works of writers who have inspired him. The quotations in this book reflect the most important ideas underlying his living and thinking. This is his evidence that, as he’s gone about finding his way, he’s had great company. Each thematic chapter begins with Fulghum’s own insightful, introductory words, followed by inspiring passages drawn from a diverse group of sources, from Jerry Garcia to Albert Camus, Dylan Thomas to Franz Kafka, Marcel Proust to Beatrix Potter. At the end of each chapter, Fulghum comments on where he was introduced to their words and why he returns to them and how they may change you.


***** stars for me!!


.

No comments: