Stephenson Family Ties The Barn Burnt Down
And Now I See The Moon
Men are easy, he said, fingers tapping on his mahogany
desk. "A man's plumbing is like his mind; simple, very
few surprises. You ladies, on the other hand....
well, God put a lot of thought into making you.
from: Kite Runner
by: Khaled Hosseini



Its been a little over a year now since I was put in as Young Womens President.
I've had two volleyball seasons, and Im coming up on my second annual Young Womens In Excellence program. Its 'mine to attend' but Im never really in charge...the girls are at the helm. I just advise and encourage the 16-18 yr old girls (who are my main responsibility) to run with it! Im sure this years program will be excellent!
These young adult girls are amazing!! They are busy, highly energetic, and fill their lives to the brim with worthwhile, exciting things. Having them stop what they are doing and come to church on Wed nights is next to impossible.  I have decided to stop fighting it.  It is what it is.  These girls arent sitting home doing their nails and watching Greys Anatomy.  They are in bands, and plays and student councils, and on soccer teams.  They are members of the honor society and have families that need their help, and are filling out college applications.  They have homework!!!...and dances with boys  to get dressed up for.  So....I've come up with a new plan.  Plan B- which I love!!!  And what is Plan B you ask?  We are meeting at my house once a week for breakfast!!! Here I can have their undivided attention for an hour..before school even begins.  Genius!!  And there's FOOD!! Food always brings out the crowds!!  (I have 4 beautiful girls!!!)  We can plan activities and giggle and catch up on each other before the 'slackers' are even out of bed!!! I believe it may have been My Builder who came up with innovative idea...after seeing me struggle with getting the older girls together every Wed night.  hhhmmmm....I wonder if leftovers were a motivation???

This week's breakfast was: whole wheat pancakes, with blueberry syrup and raspberries, whipped cream-homemade whipped cream...hashbrowns and ham. With OJ and pineapple juice punch.

We talked about: confrontation in the classroom...debating about abortion, the "N" word, and divorce. Heavy stuff for an english class.  We talked about Nerd Day and Duct Tape Day, and how the wave lengths of microwaves are too big to cause any damage to our cells...thus...cell phones are NOT causing cancer!!! We shared ideas on possible service projects for the months of Nov and Dec and who we should get to speak at our YW in Excellence program.  We also talked about the letter of reference I need to write for one of the girls, to recommend her for the National Honor Society.  Its due tomorrow.

Conclusion:  I am blessed to have these YW in my home and am honored to developed true and lasting relationships with each of them.  I am humbled by the responsibility to teach them something.  And so grateful for them in meeting me half way to make it work!!  The world is in good hands with women such as these!!









Stake Picnic

No comments: