Stephenson Family Ties The Barn Burnt Down
And Now I See The Moon

Like a Lamb to the Slaughter!!!

...think of Peter walking across the water to
meet Jesus. As long as he didnt remember
that we human beings have forgotten how
to walk on water, he was able to do it.
from: Walk on Water
by: Madeleine L'Engle (1985)



I guess its time for the big reveal!
Here's the story of how my world was rocked so very recently.

How is it that a naive, unsuspecting individual can amble into the new bishops office, along with ones good husband, for a supposed 10 minute meeting, and come away from said meeting a completely changed, rocked, stunned individual???!!!

(please brace yourself for lots and lots of exclamation points in this post)

I was completely confident that the meeting we were entering into was going to be about My Builder. I now wonder how it is that I had not an inkling, not a twinge of foreboding going into the bishops lair of alterations.
How dare I have been so calm!!!! So very, very naive!!!
I havent been calm now for several weeks!!!
I now brace myself for years of stomach aches and anxiety brought on by nerves and feelings of inadequacy.
Many may wonder what can bring on such symptoms to a normally sedate, calm, laid-back kinda gal???
You may be wondering what has taken the wind from my sails, knocked me for a loop, stunned me into near speechlessness, instilled terror and self-doubt??

It turns out that it was I that was extended a call.
Not My Builder, as I fully expected.

Its a call that I have always been loath to contemplate. A call that I honestly believed I had escaped after all these years of marriage, parenthood, and willingness to serve.
Low and behold...I have been slapped with the call without warning. It comes without any knowledge of the people I'll be serving, and without the knowledge of those that might be willing to serve along side of me. This church congregation is totally new to me...dare I say I dont know a soul!!!!!
What is going on!!!!????
What is God thinking!!!!????
Can I seriously pull this off under these circumstances??!!!
Could I pull it off under the best of circumstances???!!!
Why is it that young girls between the ages of 12-17 scare the heebee-geebees out of me!!!??? (unless Im related to them that is)
I dont know this program!!!
I dont even know the theme!!!
I dont camp!!!
And the longer the bishop talked and tried to familiarize me with the girls of the ward, the weaker and weaker I became in the knees. We have a ward for of exceptional girls it seems.
May God please help me....because that will be the only way I'll get through this!!!

We are now well past the litany of clues....
Those that know the lingo of our church have already guessed what has landed on my plate.
I've been called as the Young Womens President of the Bloomington 7th Ward. gulp

If there is a bright side to this catastrophe... (for it pays to look for a bright side)
There are a few things I might bring to the table.
#1 I have a willing spirit...(which often gets me into trouble)
#2 I have faith that said willingness will be rewarded with some sort of competence and support.
#3 I have faith in the assurance that Heavenly Father really does want me to give this calling my best shot.
#4 I have some faith that maybe, just maybe I do have something of offer these girls, and that together we'll learn what it is.
#5 I have a darling supportive husband.
#6 I cant really call it excitement; but maybe there's a twinge of anticipation which new things, places, and challenges bring me.
#7 having never really been in the program before...I cant compare myself or hold myself up to how others have done this calling. Im a clean slate, an open book, ready and willing to learn and work.

Please wish me luck and pray mightily for me!!!


Why couldnt I have been on vacation!!!!???

(image from thatgirl)

5 comments:

Anna said...

Mama! I am so proud of you! You are going to do so good! God does know what He is doing and your going to be amazing!! Love you!!

Kim said...

Oh, those lucky, LUCKY girls! You are going to do an awesome job, Cindy and they are going to LOVE you to death.

I laughed out loud when I read, "If there's a bright side to this catastrophe." Catastrophe! So funny!

Ann said...

Silly woman. If anyone can do this, you can. You don't know the theme? Seriously? That was your whole problem right there. It is an amazing theme and you will love working with the young women. I've done this twice now, and if I can ANYONE can!

Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

I echo all the comments already made. It IS a hard calling, but you are up to doing hard things. And the end result is that the girls in your stewardship will be stronger, braver, wiser, happier, and healthier than they were yesterday, just because YOU are YOU! Go get 'em!