Stephenson Family Ties The Barn Burnt Down
And Now I See The Moon
Another circumstance strengthened and confirmed
these feelings. Soon after my ... arrival in
the hovel I discovered some papers in the pocket
of the dress which I had taken from your
laboratory. At first I had neglected them, but
now that I was able to decipher the characters in
which they were written, I began to study them
with diligence. It was your journal of the four
months that preceded my creation. You minutely
described in these papers every step you took
in the progress of your work; this history was
mingled with accounts of domestic occurrences.
You doubtless recollect these papers. Here
they are. Everything is related in them which
bears reference to my accursed origin; the whole
detail of that series of disgusting circumstances
which produced it is set in view; the minutest
description of my odious and loathsome person
is given, in language which painted your own
horrors and rendered mine indelible. I sickened
as I read. `Hateful day when I received life!'
I exclaimed in agony. `Accursed creator! Why did
you form a monster so hideous that even YOU
turned from me in disgust? God, in pity, made man
beautiful and alluring, after his own image; but
my form is a filthy type of yours, more horrid even
from the very resemblance. Satan had his companions,
fellow devils, to admire and encourage him, but I
am solitary and abhorred.
from: Frankenstein
by: Mary Shelley


This classic was a surprise for me. I went into it with some expectations of it at least resembling the movies. ( I should have known better of course) It has been eons since I've viewed a Frankenstein movie...but this story seems to have NO similarities what- so- ever to Hollywood's creations!!

Frankenstein-the book- is essentially about two miserable beings- the creator and created. For the most part, the novel is told from the perspective of Frankenstein as he watches the destruction of his life and all he loves, knowing that it was his mistake that began this destruction. There are a few chapters though that are told from the perspective of Frankenstein’s creature, who, I came to learn, actually has no name.

The passages from the perspective of Frankenstein’s monster were my favorite-as he related his intense loneliness in the world as an immediate outcast from humanity. I find the monster's story more of a tragedy than that of Frankenstein. I couldn’t really forgive Frankenstein for leaving his creature to fend for itself. Frankenstein feels briefly bad for his heartlessness, but by that time, the creature has murdered, so it’s too late for the 'creators' repentance.

Another thing about the book that I found surprising is the attention to the details of the country side and to nature. Frankenstein has a great love for nature and a curiosity about new places and describes the places of his visits in great detail, from Geneva to Ingolstadt, to England, and the Orkney Islands.
The overall hopelessness and loneliness of this story is what fills the heart with dread and compassion; not the hideousness of the monster. This is not the result I expected as I began the book.
As in all other 'period pieces' of literature...it took me several chapters to warm up the flowery and over abundance of words...but in the end it was an enthralling read and one that Im happy to add to my list of favorites.


PS- It was quite interesting to scan through all the different images of book covers that have been used throughout the years. I thought I'd share the ones that 'spoke' to me after reading the book.




No comments: