Stephenson Family Ties The Barn Burnt Down
And Now I See The Moon

SUNDAY MUSINGS

I find that it isn't safe to discuss religion
with the Semples. Their god (whom they have
inherited intact from their remote Puritan
ancestors) is a narrow, irrational, unjust,
mean, revengeful, bigoted person. Thank
heaven I dont inherit any god from anybody!
I am free to make mine up as I wish him.
He's kind and sympathetic and imaginative
and forgiving and understanding- and he has
a sense of humor.
from: Daddy-Long-Legs
by: Jean Webster



There is always that scene in a movie, when a desperate soul kneels, or prostrates himself or herself on the floor, or stands in front of a 'glassy eyed' artists' rendition of Jesus, and pleads for blessings, mercy, help or forgiveness or all of the above.
I find it interesting that we Mormons dont do this. At least I dont think 'we' do? We also dont have crosses on our churches or crucifixes in our churches or hanging from delicate chains around our necks. It has always been explained to me that this is because we prefer to remember the Living Christ, the resurrected Christ- who lived for us, as the perfect example. I say Amen to this!!!
But I'd like to go back to the pictures of Christ. Compare this-






















and this-
























Is this a cultural thing?? Or is it personal preference? Do the Catholics and the Protestants have their own bookstores, like we have ours?
I went to our local L.D.S. bookstore the other day and there on the shelf I found this gem of a picture.
And can I just say...







A PICTURE DOES TELL A THOUSAND WORDS!!!

You probably cant imagine how much joy this picture brings me...but then again, maybe you can, 'cause I'd wager it makes you feel pretty darn good too!! Unless of course you have icewater running through your veins.
I have put this picture on the top (dusty) shelf in our bedroom, right next to my bed. (I'd like it to be closer, but cant figure out how to make this so.)
And to take this musing to the next level, I'll confess to something more...praying on my knees doesnt come easily to me. But praying all day long does. I pray when Im hiking, when Im grocery shopping, when my kids call to check in on me, when Im in my cozy basement doing laundry in a machine instead of on a rock in a cold muddy stream, when I rummage through all the over- the- counter meds that I have to choose from when somebody doesnt feel well and when I find what I want in my bounteous refrigerator!! I do have a grateful heart, and I KNOW where my blessing flow from!!!
So....
With this inspirational picture by my bed-somehow I find it more compelling to drop to my knees, or...if not that, at least to sit on the side of my bed and look at this picture and say a prayer.
(Will lightening strike me for admitting this??!!! Probably not!!)
I dont think I've ever really been an 'orthodox' Mormon, and the older I get, I may be finding myself a tad more rebellious than ever. Remember, Im a California, hippy freak at heart.)
But please know of my SURETY of the divinity of our Older Brother who loves me and loves you and who is my Savior and yours.
Yes, I do know this.

And may God bless David Bowman for painting this picture. And for letting it sell cheap enough that I could afford it for my home.
You can go HERE to read more about what I believe about the life and mission of Jesus Christ.

3 comments:

Cathy Ehlert said...

Loved your "musings". Knees aren't a requirement for prayer as you so aptly pointed out. A heart of gratitude will get us closer to where we need/want to be than anything. You a rebel? I think not! I'm trying to become more like you in feeling unconditional love for others. Thanks for the example!

Chelsea said...

I love this picture cindy! I've never seen it. I'm going to have to try to find one for my home...it's precious. I love your posts about your testimony. I need to do more of them. They are very inspiring and remind me also to keep a prayer in my heart throughout the day.

mamabear23 said...

I have been searching for where to buy that picture! Do you remember where you got it from? And I totally understand being better at praying all the time while I'm busy than taking a moment to kneel down and pray. That, and when I slow down, I just want to cry which I can't do just yet :) I love these black and white sketches with Christ and the little children in a playful mood. I have one of him throwing a little squish in the air to catch him or her and it totally fits my babies.