Stephenson Family Ties The Barn Burnt Down
And Now I See The Moon
"In your language you have a form of poetry called the sonnet."
"Yes," Calvin said impatiently. "What's that got to do with the
Happy Medium?"
"It's a very strict form of poetry,is it not?"
"Yes"
There are fourteen lines, I believe, all in iambic pentameter. 
Thats a very strict rhythm or meter, Yes?"
"Yes" Calvin nodded.
"And each line has to end with a rigid rhyme pattern. And if
the poet does not do it exactly this way, it is not a sonnet, is it?"
"No"
"But within this strict form the poet has complete freedom to say
whatever he wants, doesn't he?"
"So what?  You mean you're comparing our lives to a sonnet? A
strict form, but freedom within it?"
"Yes.  You're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet
yourself.  What you say is completely up to you."
from: A Wrinkle In Time
by: Madeleine L'Engle  


Mayci my love...you are a generous, peaceful soul. ...qualities that both your folks also possess.
A perfect example of your parents generosity happened 14 yrs ago when they invited me to attend the blessed event of your entering into world.
(you know what I think...I think baby doctors may be some of the luckiest people on the planet. Everyday they get to be instrumental in the birth of babies! It must  be a magical experience.)
I know it was magical for me when I was included in that day. It was a gift and an honor and now my heart is bound to you  forever. To witness your parents becoming mom and dad to a beautiful daughter was a sacred gift that I will always treasure.
You should know and might find it interesting to know  that I have loved your dad from the very first time I met him...which happened at Grandma Stephenson's  home, at the dining room table which had  so many chairs around it that I was confused!!  So MANY Stephensons!!???
Bob brought me down from USU to 'meet the family', and your dad was just a young whippersnapper teenager, just a few years older than you are now. Truth be told...he was just a younger, male version of me as a teenager too. He was a handsome, restless, young man, who happily listened to Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, and yet was a Stephenson thru and thru...with a heart of gold and a mischievous twinkle in his eye. We could relate to one another and we had much in common. He most certainly had to have been blown away by the impossibility that   his older, straight-laced brother had fallen in love with a wild and somewhat rebellious California girl!!  The friendship I have enjoyed with your dad is something I cherish even after all these years.
And then there's your mom. A beauty both inside and  out..and with more class than I'll ever dream of possessing!! I love her with all my heart. I love that your dad was inspired to marry her and bring her into the family. Truly I love her as a sister! Plus...I love that the two of them chose to marry in one of my most favorite places on the planet...Zion!! It was a sign that we were going  to be fast and loyal friends!!

I suppose Im telling you all of this random stuff because its been fun for me to remember the good ol days. Days gone by... about 14 yrs ...when you were born. And to look at you now and see so much good, so much sweetness..so much beauty and love, makes my heart sing.
There was so much love in that hospital  room when you arrived Mayci.
And now..all these years later, there are so many people that love you so very, very much now.
You are easy to love my dear. Kindness, thoughtfulness and wisdom beyond your years are just a few of the great qualities that you seem to be blessed with.

And now...Now that Im headed your way for the summer, I look forward to spending some time with you..and to get to know you even better. If you'll let me that is.
We can hike. I can watch volleyball. Or...we can eat Pringles and drink Diet Coke and suck on Gummy Rings together and remember our counterfeit corruption of sweet Benjamin!!
You'd put hiking shoes on for me...right!!??
Just like I'd eat donuts and cheer like a mad woman in the bleachers for you!! ( and I bet you wouldnt even be embarrassed by me!!!??)
Love you Mayci!
Stay true to you!!  And to your hip dad and your amazing mom!!

No comments: