Stephenson Family Ties The Barn Burnt Down
And Now I See The Moon
Who is the brave man-he who feels no fear?
If so, then bravery  is but a polite term for a
mind devoid of rationality and imagination. The
brave man, the real hero,  quakes with terror,
sweats, feels his very bowels betray him, and in
spite of this moves forward to do the act he dreads.
from: March
by: Geraldine Brooks

A complete stranger at Women's Conference this year compelled me to become acquainted with Geraldine Brooks and her historical fiction.  I now have 3 more of her books at my bedside...waiting for me to complete MARCH, which I picked up at BYU bookstore.  Im enraptured.  (dont you just love it when fellow readers arent afraid to share with other readers their favorite authors!!!?)  I wish I could thank the dear lady that leaned over the back of her chair to tell me about this gifted writer.
The book is indeed  just as the cover says..."harrowing and moving"....casting a spell that last longer than the reading of it".
Amen!
From Louisa May Alcott's beloved classic Little Women, Geraldine Brooks has taken the character of the absent father.  Mr March has gone off to the War...the Civil War...leaving behind his wife and daughters.
It is a haunting tale.
Once again reminding us of man's inhumanity to man...
But its also a story of  noble, brave men who valiantly try to stick to righteous principles through the horrors of war and the sins of slavery. Its a story of marriage and heartbreak and heroism.
Excellent!!
Five stars
*****

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Sis,

I read your review on March on your blog – and not only agreed that it was a great book, realized I hadn’t thought of recommending it to you when I read it. So in that light, I have a book recommendation for you: “Andersonville” by Kantor.
It is like March – only much more so!
Much more intense, vivid, educational and moving.
There are images from that book that I can recall as if they happened to me, and I read it about 3 years ago.
The writing style is like NOTHING you’ve seen – it takes a chapter or so to get into, then you are captured and the style draws you into the past. (no punctuation, and ‘sounds’ like 1860 speaking).

Anyway – have a Wonderful Wednesday.

Joe