Stephenson Family Ties The Barn Burnt Down
And Now I See The Moon
E is for Emotions, Empathy and Ethernet






God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in
our conscience, but shouts in our pain; it is His
megaphone to rouse a deaf world.
from: The Problem of Pain
by: C.S.Lewis

Its a sad state of affairs that it sometimes takes another persons tragedy to wake us up and take notice of what's REALLY important in life.
A few days ago this world lost a sweet young soul in a horrific car accident. She was the daughter of a very good friend.  I was home watching the news...with 3 little ones swarming my feet, who were anxious  for dinner; and, if you had been listening carefully you may have heard a slight amount of murmuring from me...about having to go it alone with 3 babies in my charge.  I was feeling picked on.  Im no spring chick anymore...and 3 little ones made that glaringly apparent!! Any way...I digress... for the split second that I looked up at the tv screen and saw the pictures of sweet Kellie, and the broadcaster announcing that she died in the accident, my world shifted once again.  The grief, the horror, and the gratitude I felt all mixed up in one emotion...(poor Lachlan was so confused) There I was crying, pacing, and hugging my babies!  The feeling of helplessness. My broken heart for Melanie, the mother of Kellie.  Wanting to know that all my kiddies were well, accounted for, and safe, immediately!  Needless to say...its been a very emotional few days...and will continue to be so for me, I fear...for many more days. 
But I cant leave it at that
 ...of course...
Catastrophic  events are always teaching events, learning events...stand up and take notice events...
Many people expound on the faults and disastrous results of our modern day communications...ie Facebook, email, twitter, texting etc, etc...and as it is with anything, there are indeed downsides..and moderation should be practiced...but today I'd like to share what I have witnessed to be a modern day miracle via ethernet.
This tragic event...the loss of this dear girl...has shown me the remarkable POWER of eitherair... 
Right before my eyes...within minutes it seemed, of the accident and word getting out about Melanie's loss, friends and acquaintances from all the corners of the country began to flood the airways, sending her INSTANT messages of love, condolences's , grief and prayers, plus support to Melanie and her family. A beautiful Memorial page was set up, again, almost instantly, where family and friends can leave thoughts, memories and tributes to Kellie. Within hours there were video clips and music and lovely words reminding one of Kellie, posted there and on innumerable "walls." 
Ways to donate money for funeral costs, which are exorbitant, to help Melanie and her family, were set up too ..  (Wells Fargo- Kellie McEllory)
There has not been a moment since this tragedy that Melanie couldnt go to her computer and receive love, sympathy and encouragement via the ethernet.  
I find this Remarkable!!!
And then just yesterday...low and behold, we see Melanie is communicating with us! Already she is sharing with us  what she has learned and will learn through this heart-breaking experience.  
We knew she was strong!!
But now she appears to be super-human!!
We know there will be good days.
We know there will be TERRIBLE days ahead.
But she can and will find great comfort in knowing how huge a support system  there is out there for her. 


Thank heaven for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  Which brings such comfort and peace.
A gospel which seems to have a miraculous way of knocking off the almost lethal, rough, extremely painful edges of what has happened here.  
For we do KNOW that Kellie is in a wonderful place, with people that love her dearly.  With Jesus himself.  
And we know that His Spirit will testify of this to Melanie and to all of us that love her and wonder.  




So whatever negative things have been said about our modern generation and it's forms of communication, I have come to believe that nothing beats the instant Empathy we can receive and send out via email, facebook, twitter, texting and....dare I say...what the Spirit of our Lord and Savior can do!!!  


I Know That My Redeemer Lives

1. I know that my Redeemer lives.
What comfort this sweet sentence gives!
He lives, He lives, who once was dead.
He lives, my ever-living Head.
He lives to bless me with His love.
He lives to plead for me above.
He lives my hungry soul to feed.
He lives to bless in time of need.
2. He lives to grant me rich supply.
He lives to guide me with his eye.
He lives to comfort me when faint.
He lives to hear my soul’s complaint.
He lives to silence all my fears.
He lives to wipe away my tears.
He lives to calm my troubled heart.
He lives all blessings to impart.
3. He lives, my kind, wise heav’nly Friend.
He lives and loves me to the end.
He lives, and while He lives I’ll sing.
He lives, my Prophet, Priest, and King.
He lives and grants me daily breath.
He lives, and I shall conquer death.
He lives my mansion to prepare.
He lives to bring me safely there.
4. He lives! All glory to His name!
He lives, my Savior, still the same.
Oh, sweet the joy this sentence gives:
“I know that my Redeemer lives.”
He lives! All glory to His name!
He lives, my Savior, still the same.
Oh, sweet the joy this sentence gives:
“I know that my Redeemer lives!
I know that my Redeemer lives!”
Descant
All glory to His name!
My Savior, still the same.
What joy this sentence gives:
I know my Savior lives.
All glory to His name!
My Savior still the same.
He lives! I know He lives.
“I know that my Redeemer lives.
I know that my Redeemer lives!”

1 comment:

Pam Hill said...

Beautiful post with some lovely thoughts. Thanks for sharing.