Stephenson Family Ties The Barn Burnt Down
And Now I See The Moon

Divine Nature Part 3


"As they passed the rows of houses they saw through
the open doors that men were sweeping and dusting
and washing dishes, while the women sat around in
groups, gossiping and laughing.
What has happened?' the Scarecrow asked a sad-looking
man with a bushy beard, who wore an apron and was
wheeling a baby carriage along the sidewalk.
Why, we've had a revolution, your Majesty -- as you ought
to know very well,' replied the man; 'and since you went
away the women have been running things to suit themselves.
I'm glad you have decided to come back and restore order,
for doing housework and minding the children is wearing out
the strength of every man in the Emerald City.'
Hm!' said the Scarecrow, thoughtfully. 'If it is such hard work
as you say, how did the women manage it so easily?'
I really do not know,' replied the man, with a deep sigh.
'Perhaps the women are made of cast-iron."
from: The Marvelous Land of Oz
by: L. Frank Baum


Another requirement for completing the 'Divine Nature" section in the Personal Progress program, is to reflect on motherhood, and what it means to be a good mother. I learn best when Im learning from others...so I asked my friends to share with me their thoughts on their mothers or on the women in their lives. Here are some of their responses:

Lauren is a dear friend of Annas...and mine, who lives in Logan with her husband and two kids:

My mom taught me to love others despite their apperances. She always made me befriend the kids in my class that seemed at bit different. I remember one birthday party she made me invite every girl in my class despite my wishes. She didn't want anyone to feel left out. I've always remembered that. It's stuck with me and it's something I hope to teach my children. That despite peoples differences we should be kind and reach out to all people. I'm grateful for that message my mother taught me.








This is from Carly, a dear sweet niece of mine:
hmmmmmmmmm some good things i've learned from my mother? ah there is too much to choose from! my mom has taught me patience, love, kindness, christ-like living, to not judge, to always understand the whole situation, to be forgiving, to accept others, to serve, to put others before yourself, that there is no reason to NOT be happy, to persevere, to ask for strength from the lord, to rely on the lord through trials....i could go on and on and on...i love my mom so much. AH!!
thank you for letting me reflect on my perfect mother!!!





from my lovely and brilliant Cousin, who now lives way too far away-

What did I learn from my mother? The better question would be; what didn’t I learn from my mother? She taught me how to tie my shoes, how to whistle, how to sew, how to cook, how to match colors and not wear stripes with patterns. She taught me to love good music, and to appreciate fine art. She taught me right from wrong, that it was wrong to accept a date from the second boy to call if you told first boy no. That it was right to be honest and to always tell the truth. She taught me to sit with my knees together “like a lady” and to not chew gum in public. She told me that it made me look cheap to wear earrings too young and that make-up should be used sparingly. She taught me the gospel, mostly by example. She taught me about hard work and persistence and that even at the old age of 40, you were never too old to go to school. In later years , she taught me that life didn’t always turn out the way you planned, but if you maintain the right attitude, you can still have a rich and good life. She taught me the secret to happiness; that no one can MAKE you happy, that happy was a decision you made every day of your life.

As I read through my list. There isn’t one thing on it that I don’t hope I was able to teach my own daughters. It’s that old circle of life thing. We swear we won’t turn out like our mothers. And then in the end, we pray that we do.




Jan keeps me on my toes, and I LOVE her:

My Mom is very black and white so I have learned to be very gray in all that I see. I know there are always many sides and to decisions and events and I always try and listen to understand different sides. She was a compassionate nurse and always helped people from different countries when we lived in poor neighborhoods. She helped my Orthodox Jewish Russian best friends father despite his huge temper and abuse towards women. It still stands out in my mind today. I have become compassionate towards patients. Also I have great desire to become a patient informant and educator so that they can become educated concerning their care.




Wise words from my beloved sister-in-law Pam:

She learns how to listen to her children and really give them her attention for those few minutes when they ask for it. She sets the example, at least most of the time, and shows you how its done. In all aspects of life. She makes you tow the line, and loves you when you do or don't, but still, you know what is expected, right? Cause she let's you know it, somehow. Mostly love though, love, acceptance, long-suffering, patience, endurance, forgiving, etc. etc. These are some of the things I have learned are important from my own life and from watching some of the wonderful women I have in my life.




This is Lisa. Shes become a dear friend plus she's the mother of my sweet, and talented Daughter-in-law. What does that make Lisa to me?! How about just someone Im very lucky to know and to now call family??:

My mom taught me that everyone is a little stronger than they think they are, especially if someone they trust tells them so. "You can do it!" is easy to say, but telling a child--no matter what age--that they CAN is like pumping up a deflated balloon with helium--suddenly, they can because "mom said I could." So, you fell down? Oops, get up, you can do it. You made a mistake? Make it right, you can do it. You want something that seems out of reach? Try harder, you can do it. You think you're sad/hurt/tired/hungry/angry/broken/in need? Count your blessings, you can do it. My mom is my biggest fan, my "groupie", my cheerleader. She's the first to applaud me, the first to give me a standing ovation, the first to blow my horn. Sometimes it's embarrassing because heaven knows, I'm not the wonderful, perfect, beautiful, spiritual person she tells everyone I am. I've hurt her and disappointed her plenty of times in the past, but she chooses to forgive and forget...truly. I know I'm a lucky girl.

My wise and wonderfully talented friend Kathy:

Being a mother is just like so many other jobs, overworked, underpaid, underappreciated. The difference is that the rewards are often little surprises- like an unsolicited butterfly kiss, an overheard compliment (I wish you could cook like my mom), a truthful admission (I broke the remote), or an uncommon yet thoughtful gift (I found this caterpillar and put it in a baggie for you). Those rewards keep you going, serving, guiding, loving. You don’t get that kind of reward from any other job.

When faced with something I would prefer not to touch or clean up, I remember my mother saying, ”You can always wash your hands.”




Good friend, mother of 11, and kindred spirit Sue:

My mother-in-law, who I also loved dearly and learned much from, said, "everything will be okay, just put on a little lipstick."
I learned from my mother that love at home is the most important thing. Whenever I was having a trying time with one of my children, mom would remind me that things work out, love is the most important thing and our home has so much of it. She also gave so much to her family, that when she sees me do that she sheds some light in that I need to also take care of myself. I am reminded that my long-term health will affect my husband & family and balancing their needs with mine is a better example than just giving all of the time.
I love my mother very much and am so glad I have her as I am getting older. I am able to share more of my life and she is able to see the wonderful results of her children and grandchildren and great grand children.


Ive said it before, and I'll say it again...
my own dear mother is an angel. I always lack the perfect words to describe all her virtuous qualities. And I find it difficult to convince her of the powerful role model and example she is in my life. A good and brilliant church leader strung together the words of Proverbs that best describe my mother-
: “Who can find a … woman [with a mother heart]? for her price is far above rubies. … She … worketh willingly with her hands. … With the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard. … She stretcheth out her hand to the poor. … Strength and honour are her clothing. … She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness. She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness” (Prov. 31:10, 13, 16, 20, 25–27).
How very, very grateful I am for a mother who loves and nurtures me even now. Im grateful for her quiet lessons, and her willing spirit. May I continue to try to strive to be like her. To always be learning, and doing and helping. And to have patience in all things. Love you mom!!!

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Oh this is so great, Cindy! Thanks for sharing this, too!