Stephenson Family Ties The Barn Burnt Down
And Now I See The Moon
People disappear when they die. Their voice,
their laughter, the warmth of their breath.
Their flesh. Eventually their bones. All
living memory of them ceases. This is both
dreadful and natural. Yet for some there is
an exception to this annihilation. For in the
books they write they continue to exist. We
can rediscover them. Their humor, their tone
of voice, their moods. Through the written
word they can anger you or make you happy.
They can comfort you. They can perplex you.
They can alter you. All this, even though
they are dead. Like flies in amber,like
corpses frozen in the ice, that which
according to the laws of nature should pass
away is, by the miracle of ink on paper,
preserved. It is a kind of magic....
from: The Thirteenth Tale
by: Diane Setterfield



How's this for a crazy collection of books I just finished up reading?! None of them rocked my world. Though the Woman in White is a worthy read to be sure. I like the way Wilkie Collins writes.



1 comment:

Judy said...

My teacher in grade school read "From the Mixed up files..." to the whole class. I remember really liking it. The other two look very interesting. Right now I have a book half finished. By the time I sit down to read it I'm asleep after 2 pages!