Stephenson Family Ties The Barn Burnt Down
And Now I See The Moon

SABBATH MUSINGS

I prayed the Lord would sort my prayers out and
answer as needed. Above all that he would hurry.
from: Peace Like a River
by: Leif Enger


One of the unique things about being a Mormon is that we believe in revelation. The heavens are not sealed. God is an unchanging God, so why would He stop revealing things to us in order to help us along our way?
We believe in personal revelation as well.


....for thou hast inquired of me, and behold,
as often as thou hast inquired thou hast
received instruction of my Spirit. If it had
not been so, thou wouldst not have come to the
place where thou art at this time.
Behold, thou knowest that thou hast inquired
of me and I did enlighten thy mind; and now
I tell thee these things that thou mayest
know that thou hast been enlightened by the
Spirit of truth;
Yea, I tell thee, that thou mayest know that
there is none else save God that knowest
thy heart.
Doctrine and Covenants 6:14-16

I personally believe I have received direct revelation for me and the things I care about. It has been there for me in the past. And I expected it throughout the grueling process of the the last few weeks. Its a taxing process to go through though. And I've had a difficult week or so, as I have grappled with the new calling I have received. One reason its been so difficult is that I havent been able to share or complain or pick anyones brain. Its been a private challenge. (as it should be)
But I journaled...to keep it fresh in my mind. Thus you get a peek into my mind.
My dilemma and challenge was:
Choosing a presidency and advisers to serve along with me. And personal revelation had to be involved. For I wanted to serve along with those that we felt the Lord would have me serve with.
but....
as I write this, it occurs to me that whomever serves with willingness can be qualified for the work.
Now behold, a marvelous work is about to
come forth among the children of men.
Therefore, O ye that embark in the service
of God, see that ye serve him with all
your heart, might, mind and strength, that
ye may stand blameless before God at the
last day. Therefore, if ye have desires to
serve God ye are called to the work; For
behold the field is white already to harvest;
and lo, he that thrusteth in his sickly with
his might, the same layeth up in store that
he perisheth not, but bringeth salvation to
his soul; And faith, hope, charity and love,
with an eye single to the glory of God,
qualify him for the work. Remember, faith,
virtue, knowledge, temperance, patience,
brotherly kindness, godliness, charity,
humility, diligence. Ask, and ye shall
receive, knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
Doctrine and Covenants 4:5
So....
what does this all mean to little ol me?
I was given some names as suggestions of those who might fulfill these responsibilities. It was then my 'job' to make the correct decisions as to which lady should serve where. Where could I go wrong? Is there more to it than just willingness? There probably is. There assuredly is.
For days I seemed to just juggle those names around on paper, seeing what 'felt' right. I'd pray before and after this exercise. Then I'd juggle some more. What I really desperately wanted was to meet these ladies; to have some interaction with them....
but I couldnt see a way to make that happen before the deadline that the bishop graciously issued for my decision to be made.
The one Sunday I had.... turned out to not yield much fruitful reconnaissance work!!!!
It looked like it was going to be all about juggling and praying and juggling and praying until all the 'right' ladies fell into place.
Does an outsider looking in and find this whole process I went through to be completely foreign? Im sure you must. My believing that I am entitled to divine revelation/inspiration for my new calling must sound borderline arrogant. And all I can say to you is that its true and that it did come. Revelation is available for anyone who seeks after it. But again...its not an easy process....I wavered and faltered all along the way. I questioned my 'light and knowledge' all the time. But in the end.... as I worked hard to avoid questioning my abilities or worthiness to accomplish such tasks...there was a rich reward. If I remembered that immersing myself in scripture would help...for reading scripture is reading revelation, therefore I am apt to hear revelation more readily. And if I kept trying my best to keep the commandments, believing that this too would help the lines of communication open up to me as well. And if I just prayed and listened and prayed some more and listened quietly....


Here's how it 'came down' for me this time....


Its not at all dramatic.


It wouldnt be.
It turned out it was all about juggling and praying and juggling and praying, and the names did fall into place, to where there was no longer stress and anxiety and worry. I looked at the list....it felt just about perfect...I went to the Lord in prayer with my list, and I felt calm, peaceful and even excited. The tasked was accomplished. There was no stupor of thought, just calm.
Is that revelation.... ????? inspiration....?????
I think so.
I knocked and it was given to me.
whew!!!
I am grateful for the process.
I am grateful that I know the heavens are open and that God cares about little ol me and the girls I have been called to serve.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Wow mom...thanks! That is all so true! It's good to be reminded everyonce and a while! I appreciate your wonderful example to me! Love you!

PC Ehlert Family News said...

Great thoughts on personal revelation. I can't wait to hear all about your adventures in YW. The names you agonized over will become some of your best friends, as will the girls. Thanks for the example of "working" at personal revelation and it does take work.

ps. Your photos of Zion need to be in a photo contest...the one of red rock and daisies? Wow!